Friday, July 22, 2011

Dance Dance Revolution!

As anyone who is still sucking down oxygen and has read any of the Song of Ice and Fire series knows, A Dance With Dragons was recently released by author George R. R. Martin, and holds answers to the cliffhangers involving Tyrion, Jon and Dany that many people have been questing after for a decade now. Since I only read these books last fall, my own quest has lasted less than a year (haha suckers!). But now that it's out, and I have it in my hands, I'll be returning to reading and posting my thoughts on the series.

For anyone wondering, yes, I did end up reading Feast. I posted a few updates from it, but I sort of lost interest after plodding through many a useless chapter involving Brienne's useless and soporific search for Sansa, and Sansa's equally boring chapters about being in the Eyrie. I will say that I was shocked to find the Dorne and Iron Islands material fascinating for being introduced so late in the game. Likewise, Jaime's chapters were amazing as I expected, but also pretty sad. I maintain that Jaime is easily in my top three list of most fascinating individual characters in any novel series. His transformation from villain to anti-hero has been the absolute best part of this series for me so far, and I look forward to where it goes from here. I've just finished re-reading the first three novels in preparation for Dance, and I've decided that I'll read this new one until it comes to the part where the plot joins with Feast, then I'll go back and re-read that one, though it means stopping in the middle of Dance. At that point, I will post my thoughts on Feast, which shouldn't be too hard, since there's not a lot going on, and I honestly don't remember it as well.

I thought I should also drop in a couple comments about Storm of Swords from things I noticed on a second reading. I was totally blindsided by Roose Bolton's treachery the first time through, but it's amazing how much more easily all he did stands out when you know it's coming. I never realized that he attacked Duskendale intentionally to kill off Stark men, or that he sent his own men across the river at the Trident to let Ser Gregor slaughter the men who weren't loyal to him. It was all part of his plan to reduce Robb's army and make it easier for the Freys to stab him in the back at The Twins. They were playing a deeper game than I realized the first time out, and kudos to Martin for weaving the threads ahead of time.

I also want to reiterate how sad I was at how Tyrion and Jaime parted. I know I've commented before on the significance of Jaime mentioning how ironic it is that the Lannisters were supposed to have won the war, and this is even more telling at the end of Feast. It's interesting, though, how dramatically different the Starks and Lannisters are. I don't mean in just the fact that Starks are noble and trusting, and Lannisters are duplicitous and clever. The internal family dynamics are diametrically opposed. Ned's family was loving and supportive. Tywin's was rocky, destructive, and left all of the children with serious emotional deficiencies and problems. All of the Starks who died did so because they chose honor above common sense. But the Lannisters are much less cut and dry. Tyrion tries so hard to be good, and is rewarded in much the same way the Starks are. Jaime is all over the spectrum, and he loses everything as well. Cersei loses everything, though, she does herself in. Tywin dies for his heartless douchebaggery. Joffrey gets himself killed for cruelty. I'd say their family is more broken than the Starks, for, though more of the Starks died, and it seems their power in the north is broken beyond repair, the Lannisters don't seem to stand a whole lot of chance for getting the band back together.

The things I still really want answered or would like to see:

So what happened to Ser Jorah? Jeor's final words to Sam was a request for Jorah to take the black. If Jorah really did, and he met up with Jon, it could really make for some interesting conversations. Added to that, Jon and Jorah could bond a bit, so when Dany made it to Westeros, Jorah could vouch for Jon in some way, should that become relevant. Part of me still wants him back with Dany though, since I think they made such a great team, and I admire Jorah's steadfast loyalty to her, regardless of his unrequited love (which I cared for a great deal less).

Who is Coldhands? My guess from day one has been that he's Ben Stark, mostly because I don't want him to be so unceremoniously dead, and because they keep mentioning him, dammit, and it's not fair to drop him like that. But I think that's less and less likely these days. I think he's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the Powers Beyond the Wall that we'll be introduced to in this book.

Jaime and Tyrion make up. Yeah, I know, this one is a long shot, especially for this novel. I think it's already established that Tyrion will make for Dany in Mereen, but at some point he'll be back I hope, and I would really like for him and Jaime to get over it. They both did terrible things, though really, Jaime's were the mistakes of youth, and I think Tyrion really should have been less of a douche before he took off, anger or not. I liked their brotherly bond. I think it was the only real piece of family in that whole damn family when you consider Cersei's total lack of respect for Jaime as anything but a plaything.

Other than that, it's hard to make predictions. Jon is the Lord Commander, alright, but there was no cliffhanger with him, nor with Dany. The only real big ones were Tyrion, who I'm guessing starts off the next book in a pit of despair and self-loathing, and Bran's dealings with Coldhands.

Now I'll start reading, and keeping notes, with updates to follow. Enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment